Actually, there are two passwords on Wi-Fi routers. One is responsible for access to the control panel and network settings. The other is used for authentication on the network: it is used to connect a computer (phone, tablet, etc.) to a Wi-Fi network. The article describes how to change both TP Link router passwords.
Change TP-Link router Wi-Fi password
They can be used only by those who are already connected to your home / office grid. Such people can, theoretically, climb into the Control Panel and change some settings. Usually it’s not necessary for anyone, even in the case of a secret malice on the owner of Wi-Fi. To fix the actions of an attacker is not difficult: just reset all the settings to the factory settings, and reconfigure the modem.
But, rather, reset the parameters of the router manually at a time when you need to reconfigure something, and your own customized login and password are already successfully forgotten, and it is not possible to recall them. Instructions on how to change the password on the TP Link router, read below: there are only 3 steps.
Change password “admin” to a more suitable one
Any modem has settings – for connecting to the Internet, for distributing Wi-Fi, for managing torrents and security. Its parameters are configured in its Control Panel via the browser.
To enter the Control Panel, you must first connect to a working network, then – enter the IP address in the browser: 192.168.1.1. The login to the Control Panel is protected by a pair of login / password. Typically, the default login is admin; the password is exactly the same: admin. To find out how to find out this information on the TP Lin router, just look at the label on the bottom of the case – it prints all the data for authorization.
Step-by-step instructions for changing the password “admin” on TP-Link routers:
- The Username field is used to change the login. It is hardly necessary to touch it. Old Password – the field for entering the old password to be changed.
- New Password – a place to enter a new one.
- Confirms Password – in this field, enter the new password again, to avoid spelling errors.
- The Save / Apply button is used to save the changes. If you do not click on it, when you switch to another tab you can delete all the innovations.
Once again we urge – if you forget the password, and then there are no instructions for TP Link on how to restore everything. But you can reset to factory default. In this case, all other settings will also be changed to the default settings: the connection to the Internet and distribution of Wi-Fi will have to be adjusted in a new way.
How to reset the modem settings and password to factory settings
- This instruction is needed in order to reset the settings.
- Physically disconnect the TP router from the mains.
- Find in the body hole diameter with a pencil lead.
- Pushing a needle, pin or similar thin object into this hole, press the button hidden inside the case: pressing is sure to be felt.
- Re-connect the router: all settings will be cleared.
Step-by-step instructions: how to change the password from Wi-Fi
In order to change the password to a more secure one in the TP Link router, use these 6 steps.
- Login to the Control Panel as above: 192.168.1.1 in the browser address bar, enter the login and password from the TP-Link router.
- The Wireless – Security tab.
- In the Network Authentication field, select the appropriate authentication method. In general, the best option will be WPA2 (or its types – WPA2-Personal, WPA-Private). Other authentication methods are unreliable. Open mode means open access to the network without a password.
- In the Wireless Network Key field, enter a new password. It will be used to authorize tablets, computers and other devices on the network.
- Apply / Save button to save updates.
- After the change, to connect each device in the network you need to enter on it just the new password from the network. Before entering it, the Internet will be unavailable.
Recommendation for your Password setting
Change the password from Wi-Fi should always be, first of all, when installing the router. The harder your password is the better. Only Latin letters, numbers and symbols such as a comma, an apostrophe, and so on are allowed. Spaces and Cyrillic characters are not allowed. If the changed password is forgotten, simply reset all router settings to the factory defaults.