How to configure extender?
Nowadays more and more people are deploying a Wi-Fi network at home. But it’s not so simple if you have a large apartment with a lot of walls that block the signal. And some do not have one floor in their houses! Therefore, in order to enhance the range of Wi-Fi, it is necessary to resort to auxiliary means to amplify the signal. The only drawback is that the equipment to solve the problem is very expensive and cumbersome. And not everywhere in the city you will find the right things to amplify the signal.
One way to solve all these subtleties is to purchase the so-called Wi-Fi range extender (Wall Powered Wireless Signal Repeater). This gadget connects directly to the power outlet and amplifies the signal of the wireless network, thereby increasing its coverage. Actually, with the principle of action and the need for the gadget introduced, now we will tell you about it.
REPEATER WIFI – CONNECT AND CONFIGURE
Wi-Fi range extender used to amplify the signal and extend the range of the wireless network at home is not particularly difficult to install and configure. However, a competent approach to this procedure will allow the repeater to be properly connected, eliminating a number of problems and “misunderstandings” that arise during its operation. As an example, take the model TP-Link TL-WA850RE
WAYS TO CONFIGURE
The Wi-Fi range extender chosen by us (as well as many other repeaters) has three ways of setting:
- Automatic tuning (the repeater itself will detect the available network and connect to it).
- Through a Smartphone, laptop or tablet, connected via Wi-Fi.
- Using a computer connected by a patch cord.
- AUTOMATIC CONFIGURATION (USING WPS)
The Wi-Fi range extender TP-Link TL-WA850RE has the ability to automatically recognize the signal of an existing network and calculate all necessary settings. Of course, you should first make sure that your router is capable of this. If you want to avoid even the simplest manipulations and connect the extender with the router, without making any special effort, this option is for you. To do this, find the WPS button on the router and click it.
Then click on the main (and only) button that the extender has, and after a minute or two enjoy the result: the network will be “picked up”, and the repeater and the router will work in unison. But if you are used to trusting automatic settings and want to be aware of all the details, go to the next two options.
- CONFIGURING VIA A TABLET (LAPTOP OR SMARTPHONE) BY WIFI
- In order to configure the repeater using a tablet or Smartphone, we again resort to using the central button on the device when Wi-Fi is enabled on the wireless device. In the list of available networks, you must find a connection with the name “TP-LINK_Extender_7320BA”. This name is assigned to the network created by the repeater, and we need to connect to it for further setup procedures. That’s what we’re doing.
- After that, we immediately throw it on the user’s personal data entry page. Almost in all cases (and ours is not an exception) you need to enter admin / admin, then click on “Log in”.
- If these values do not suit you, read the instruction manual from which the repeater was supplied, or look at its back panel: the sticker there, as a rule, contains all the data necessary for access.
- After a successful login, you will be transferred to the main page of the repeater tuner (if you have already configured the TP-LINK router, then it’s easy to learn here). What you need to do is learn in our next section, in which this is considered in more detail.
- CONFIGURATION VIA PC, TO WHICH THE REPEATER IS CONNECTED BY A NETWORK PATCH CORD
We should immediately say that we will use one of the two configuration options in this way – via the web interface. In addition to it, repeaters can also be configured with the help of a disk that comes with them. But in its essence it is not much different from setting up a connection using the WPS button: all the fun will remain hidden from our eyes.
If all the items were correctly executed, then it can be assumed that the setup of the router as a repeater is over, it remains only to check the operation. To do this, we disconnect from all networks, find the name of the newly created network and connect to it using a password. Usually Wi-Fi connection supports mobile devices such as a laptop, tablet or Smartphone, but if you need to connect a stationary computer to a wireless network, you can read about it in our another article.