The Linksys router of the WRT54G model is, in fact, “another” from the whole army of branded devices that implement the principle of three in one – Internet connection, a four-port wired switch, and a wireless access point 802.11g( linksys smart wi-fi ). An interesting feature, you can consider open software. The WRT54G router itself consists of a Broadcom 5352 chipset, 4 megabytes of flash memory (and 16 MB of RAM). Based on this, you can immediately tell what “alternative” firmware can be used.
Immediately make sure of this. Go to dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database, in the line, type WRT54GL. As you can see, the firmware database offers several versions. A “standalone” Ethernet connector is the “WAN” port to which you connect the provider cable. Also here is the “Reset” button and power. Antennas are removable here. But the USB-port (for example, to connect the drive) – you will not find.
Connectivity of the router
Ethernet cable, which is included in the delivery, must be connected to the LAN port; the Ethernet cable of the ISP is connected to the WAN port, the router; connect the power supply to the power connector, and then to the mains.
A router comes with a CD. This installation wizard will automatically configure your network interface to automatically obtain the IP address. Go to the menu of the device itself. Linksys WRT54G has a web-based interface for configuration. We can choose any browser.
In order to enter the settings of the router you need:
- go to the address bar and type 192.168.1.1 and then press Enter;
- There will be a dialog box
- By default, the router has an IP address of 192.168.1. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0; it is displayed on your computer. Username and password are admin. Fill the fields and click enter;
- This completes the connection of your Linksys WRT54G to the computer.
- Go to the settings of the Internet and Wi-Fi access point.
SETTING UP THE INTERNET
Consider the web interface of the router: The Setup menu of the user interface contains the following sections: Basic Setup, MAC address of clone, DDNS, Advanced Routing. We use the type of connection offered by the provider;
In the same section, we change the subnet mask and the address of the internal interface of the router. This will allow you to use your MAC address to access the Internet. Changes are made to the fields of the MAC Address Clone;
- On this model, the router has all possible ways of setting up a Wi-Fi network. But we will consider the easiest way – this setting is like a device that distributes the Internet over Wi-Fi.
- First, go to the “Wireless” tab and select “Basic Wireless Settings”. Here we will specify the name of our Wi-Fi network, in the “Wireless Network Name”, it can be any (of course Latin letters), and you will see it when searching for available networks. Then click the Save Settings button.
- After we set the network name, it should be protected. To do this, go to the “Wireless Security” section. In the “Security Mode” field, select “WPA2 Personal” (this is the most secure type of encryption). In the “WPA Shared Key” field, set the Wi-Fi password on the Latin keyboard and at least 8 characters. After that, click the Save Settings button.
- DDNS – tab for configuring the Dynamic DNS service;
- Advanced Routing – tab, through which you can select the RIP protocol (dynamic routing), as well as two modes of operation of Gateway or Router.
- In the “Setup” dialog box, select “Basic setup”. Set the time zone;
- In the Wireless menu, select Mixed. Operating mode 802.11b and 802.11g;
- in the field Wireless »network name (SSID) enter the name of the wireless connection; in the field “SSID Broadcast” it is desirable to disable the distribution to ensure network security;
- In the Wireless control panel. Set the mode WPA2 or WPA.
If you cannot support your hardware with these modes, use WEP. Do not allow your network to open; in the case of selecting the WPA2 / WPA encryption modes, the following configuration is used: Security mode – preferably choose WPA2 / WPA; WPA algorithms – the choice of TKIP + AES allows simultaneous operation of WPA2 / WPA; WPA Shared key – the password you have chosen to enter the network; Group key Renewal – the period of time through which the key changes; In the case of the WEP encryption mode: Default Transmit key – use the key number to encrypt; WEP Encryption – the maximum size of the encryption key; Passphrase is a key generator.